|Volunteer Position Description
|Some seniors suffering from a loss of autonomy would like help with their grocery run every week. Volunteers would either do the shop for them, or accompany them to the grocery store. Volunteers can also help seniors get to the bank.
|4695 de Maisonneuve Boul. W Montreal, H3Z1L9, Quebec, Canada
|Contact with Clients?
|Direct volunteering with clients
|Accompaniment, Caregiving, Friendly Visiting
|Volunteer Tasks (Other)
|Volunteer Position Requirements
|Commit at least 2 hours per week for a minimum of 6 months.
As we are dealing with a vulnerable population, we require that you be at least 18 years old and pass an SPVM background check.
Meet with the program coordinator to determine your skills and interest in volunteering, and complete a shortmandatory training.
|Open to students in all degrees and disciplines?
|Targeted Degrees and Disciplines
|Applied Human Sciences, Biology, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Classics, Modern Languages, and Linguistics, Communication Studies, Economics, Education, English, Études françaises, Exercise science, Geography, Planning and Environment, History, Humanities
|Length of Commitment Expected
|Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Weekend
|Hours per Week
|Other (please specify)
|Online application form, Email organization contact, Call organization contact
|Application Contact Information
|Application Material Required
|Additonal Application Information / Comments
|YOU SHOULD NOT VOLUNTEER FOR THIS ACTIVITY IF YOU ARE PRESENTING ANY SYMPTOMS SUCH AS COUGH, FEVER OR SHORTNESS OF BREATH, OR HAVE BEEN IN CONTACT WITH SOMEONE PRESENTING SYMPTOMS.
THE FOLLOWING PROCESS WILL MINIMIZE RISK TO OUR CLIENTS. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE STEPS COULD PUT SOMEONE AT RISK OF INFECTION.
Do not volunteer if:
You have recently returned from travelling abroad (we ask that you self-isolate for 14 days after returning);
You have any symptoms of a cold, influenza, or COVID-19 (fever, cough, difficulty breathing);
You have been in contact with someone confirmed to have COVID-19 within the past 14 days;
You live with someone who is over 70 or who is immunocompromised; or
You are over 70 or you are immunocompromised.
To keep our clients safe, we ask that in your daily life you:
Practice social distancing and avoid crowded spaces
Wash hands regularly and keep good general hygiene
Please tell us if you feel unsafe at any point and want to stop volunteering. You are taking a risk by going to stores and we appreciate that you may not want to continue taking that risk as the situation progresses. Your health and safety are important to us and we understand that you need to take care of yourself and your family before others.
1. Come to the centre to pick up hygiene materials and learn procedures. You will receive the client’s name, address, phone number and grocery list the day before the delivery.
2. Go to grocery store and collect items
- Before entering the grocery store, put on the gloves. DO NOT touch your face, cough into your hands or over the basket. Try to limit your proximity to others as much as possible. If you do touch your face or another contaminated surface wash hands with hand sanitiser.
- Call the client if certain items have run out- either replace or skip. If you touch your phone, sanitise your hands afterwards.
After processing items through the cash, was hands with hand sanitiser.
- Pay by credit card and keep the receipt. The client will then write you a cheque for the amount you spend.
3. Call the client to let them know what time you’ll be delivering the items. Give them the necessary information to fill out a cheque to you. Deliver the groceries to the client’s home.
PLEASE TAKE A PICTURE OF THE RECEIPT AND SEND IT TO US FOR OUR RECORDS. email@example.com
- Wipe down the items with an anti-bacterial wipe
- Upon arrival at the apartment building/going to the door, wash hands with hand sanitiser.
- When the client answers the door, ask them to step back 2 meters away from the door.
- Place the bag of groceries on the floor inside the door
- Stand back 2 meters from the bag and ask the client to leave the cheque outside the door before closing it and ask him/her to step back 2 meters before picking up the cheque. DO NOT take the cheque directly from the client!
Please ask them how they’re doing, without getting too close. This will be a very strange and disorienting experience for people so try to be as friendly as possible!